Thursday, December 26, 2019

Reflection on the Students’ Holidays

In the week prior to Thanksgiving, in my daily check-in, a student shared she was not looking forward to Thanksgiving. 

This prompted me to have a conversation with her. She opened up a little, sharing she didn’t appreciate her father’s
girlfriend. This was putting a damper on her holiday and time off from school.

So, as I enjoyed my time with family over Christmas, I recalled this interaction with my student. 

The holidays can be hard for many and for many different reasons. As teachers, we don’t know what our students are
experiencing over these breaks. We don’t know what weighs them down as they come into our classes each day either.

But we can get to know them a bit, offer support, and give them respect as fellow human beings. I hope that each day, I do better and better doing this for my students. 


____________________________________
If this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...