Saturday, December 21, 2019

Gamification: Learning, Engagement, and Classroom Culture

The excitement and anticipation were tangible and took me by surprise.

In my pursuit of gamifying the classroom, students were working as teams to complete a variety of activities at stations, ranging from sketchnotes, to summaries, to Instagram stories.  Each time they completed an activity, the teams would earn a badge and a certain amount of dice based on the quality of their work.  The roll would be hit points against one of the villains in our year-long class game.

Over the course of the three days of stations, students were engaged with the activities, were working together, and were understanding the information.  They were eager to receive the badge but even more excited to roll the dice.

Teams started cheering for themselves as they scored hit points and weakened the enemy.  Then teams started cheering for one another.

Towards the end of the third period, students knew that the next roll of the dice might finish off the
villain.  As I looked over a team’s work, other teams stopped working.  As I looked up from examining the work, I saw the whole class crowding around us.

I was taken aback.  They were all there waiting to see if this roll would throw them over the top.

There was almost a collective holding of their breathe as the team prepared to roll.  The anticipation was high as they rolled….as I totaled the roll.

When I announced the total, the classroom erupted.  The roll was high enough to defeat their nemesis.

This was the experience I was hoping for through gamification.  Students were engaged and learning, practicing skills and learning important concepts.  They were also collaborating with one another.  What threw this over the top, however, was the camaraderie amongst all the members of the class. 

I was excited to see them all pulling for one another.  I feel there were great gains in developing our classroom culture as well.


____________________________________
If you have moments when you’ve expereinced the power of gamification or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...