Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Like Magic Students Asked Questions


"What questions do you have about sustainable development?"

I had anticipated the silence.

I asked again, "What questions do you have about sustainable development?"

And I waited.

Finally, a hand.

The student asked the question, and I offered an answer.

Students watched as I tossed the student a poker chip.

Slowly, a few more hands raised, and after answering their questions, I tossed them a chip.

More and more hands raised.  Nearly every student in the class searched for a question (or several) to ask.

They had no idea what the chips were about, but they captured the students' attention. 

The result was that they were thinking and listening.

Making a simple ask and answer session a little game-like by earning the chips for asking questions (They earned a red one if they answered a question.) engaged the students in a meaningful way, getting them more personally involved and heightening their understanding in a meaningful way.

Magical little poker chips.....I'm going to use them more often.


____________________________________
If you have methods to gamify class discussion or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...