Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Students Set the Tone With Expectations

Starting the school year and getting to know new students is both interesting and exciting. These early days are also when expectations are established.

Last year and this, I started began establishing expectations in a different way. I put that responsibility into the hands of the students.

As a small group activity, students work together to think about what makes a good student and what makes a good teacher.  I have them use a Frayer Model to think about what a good student is, says, does, and does not. They repeat the process for a teacher.


I pull together the students' thoughts, create one Frayer for students and one for teachers.  I will print each as a poster to hang in the classroom.

They will then serve as a reference throughout the year: posted as a reminder as to what the students should be doing, as a reminder as to what I should be doing, and as an opportunity to reflect on how well they are being good students and I a good teacher.

I will also set aside time during the course of the year for all of us to review the expectations and write reflections as to how well we are being good students and a good teacher.

The expectations are not perfect, but the gist of them is strong and clear. And most importantly, they come from the students.


____________________________________
If you have students help create expectations for class or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...