Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Bringing My Learning Into Class

As a teacher, summer can rejuvenate and provide opportunities to hone my craft. I also like to take the time to learn and try new things.

This summer I dabbled in music.  Toward the end of last school year, I took several lessons to learn a bit about playing the ukulele.  Over the course of the summer, I committed myself to practice. I have picked up the ukulele for at least 30 minutes nearly every day.  Naturally, I have improved - though not so much that I’m comfortable sharing those skills here.

I will, however, speak with my students about my learning, my practice, and my improvement. Maybe, if I build up my nerve, I’ll play for them. 😮

Another learning adventure involved prop making.  For absolutely no reason, I became intrigued with prop making techniques I bumped into on YouTube.  Using Odin Abbott’s YouTube channel Odin Makes as inspiration, I made my version of Wonder Woman’s shield.  Despite its flaws, I think it
turned out pretty nifty for a first effort.

I’ll probably bring it to school for decoration and imagine it will generate conversations with the students.

Even though both of these pursuits were for my own growth, I will be able to transfer them into opportunities to generate conversation and develop relationships with my students.


____________________________________
If you bring interesting elements of your life to engage students or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...