Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Gaining a Greater Appreciation for Our Veterans

Each November, I remind my students that Veterans Day is not just a day off from school. I remind them that it is a day to honor and remember those who have served in our armed forces, to reflect on the sacrifices others have made so that we may enjoy the freedoms and quality of life we have. 

This year I pointed out to students the Library of Congress' Veterans History Project as something they may want to do with their families to help honor veterans and preserve history. 

I also had an interesting conversation with a colleague. She noted that her father was a veteran and stressed to her students that he does NOT have today off from work. That made me pause and reflect after our conversation. 

I thought about how many other veterans must be working today without our knowing. They are still doing there job like today is just another day. Should our students get a day off from school in honor of veterans if they won't actually take the time to honor the veterans that day?  How can we make those veterans, including those plugging away at their jobs post military service, still feel our appreciation?

Though some questions came to my mind, I did come to one conclusion. I appreciate my father, my uncles, my grandfather, my father-in-law, and all other veterans and their efforts while they served that much more. 

If you have have a something to relay about Veterans Day or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...