Sunday, June 21, 2015

When Done Is Not Done

Recently, I allowed students to design their own learning around certain state/district standards. The process was a good one (described in the post: Enhance Engagement with Ownership), and both the students and I learned from it.  Although I feel it was a good experience for all of us, I would tweak it in one significant way.

Students working on a Common Craft style video.
The students, in forming their own groups, were very engaged with their partners as well as with the content.  Throughout their stage of acquiring information, I checked in with groups and individuals to make sure their understanding was on track.  I also encouraged them to share drafts of their work with me - several did through Google Docs - so I could give them more feedback.  I was satisfied that they were understanding the important ideas.

Something went amiss, however, as they put together their final products: podcasts, videos, web pages, etc.

During that creation process, they seemed to lose a sense of their understanding.  It was still there, but most could not seem to express it fully and clearly in the medium of their choice.  There were more gaps and misunderstandings that showed in the formal project than there were in my informal check-ins as they worked.

Frustrated that they could not siphon their understanding into a high-quality final product, I have decided that done is not done.

I can have students share their work with me, give them feedback, and then go back at it.  Just as they may write an essay or story and the teacher pour through it giving feedback, I can do the same for a video, web page, or podcast.

They may resist because they are comfortable with having a project be done once they turn it in.  But to encourage high quality, to show students they can improve their work as they work through it more, and to have students create work that better shows their understanding, I will give them feedback and have them revise. Done will not be done.

If you have had positive experiences with students designing their own learning or if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share them in the comments. I would appreciate hearing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...