Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Gamification in the Classroom: Big "G" or little "g"?

There’s one week left before I begin learning about my new students. As part of my preparation this summer, I have explored reasons and techniques to gamify my classroom.

“Rpg, Game, Play, Dice, Dungeons.” Rpg Game Play -
Free Photo on Pixabay, pixabay.com/photos/rpg-game-play-dice-
dungeons-468917/.
My eyes have been opened to the fact that gamification exists in multiple ways in our lives: businesses use badging and credentials in training, stores and restaurants offer rewards cards, businesses offering free trials, fitness apps offering badges and recognition, etc. They are all ways to motivate people to come back for more and/or to excel. In addition to engagement, gamifying the classroom can offer great opportunities for student choice and collaboration.  Done appropriately
students can become better learners.

I am, however, still up in the air for my classroom. Big “G” Gamification or little “g” gamification. 

Two different approaches to gamifying the classroom. I understand the former as a full-fledged, year-long commitment to Gamification: storyline, XP, items, badges, levels, leaderboards, side quests, etc.  These are elements of video games and other role-playing games. In a nutshell, little “g” gamification would be using those same elements within an activity or employing games to elicit engagement, student choice, and collaboration and enhance students’ learning.

Still wrapping my head around Gamification, I have to make my choice within this week. But recently, as I have had this debate in my head, I’ve thought of another possibility.  Perhaps I could lay Gamification out to the students and give them the choice:  Is this something we should try together? 

I could then ask for ideas (within certain parameters) as to what our game should entail. They would help design the game which could encourage even greater engagement in the game but could also, and more importantly, a evoke greater desire to learn.

We will see where this Gamification/gamification adventure leads me.


____________________________________
If you gamify your classroom or, if this post has generated some thoughts of your own, please share in the comments. I would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...